Sunday, February 19, 2012

Drawing Exhibition by German artist Astrid Köppe


My work consists to a large amount of drawing. For more than ten years now, my works on paper are strictly in the same size: A4, portrait format. Onto these sheets I place my single or few motifs. I work almost exclusively with things I have actually seen - therefore, being in another country influences my work strongly. What I picture is a subjective essence of an object, filtered through my kind of selective perception. I do not invent forms, but sometimes reduce or exaggerate certain aspects, or compare or contrast it with similar shapes. By doing this, already in the process of planning a drawing, several ways of interpretation open up and I try to keep them as open as possible.
 
In the finished works, the motifs can never actually be resolved entirely; rather, they recallsomething familiar that can scarcely be summed up in words.The drawings I find satisfying are at the tipping point, so to speak; the objects shown are settledand unsettled at the same time. This balance between clarity and unclarity, certainty and uncertainty, interest me. In order to retain their ambivalence, my drawings are untitled on principle.

by Astrid Koppe










Lost generation art space & Goethe-Institut Malaysia Presents

Drawing Exhibition by  LGS AIR German artist Astrid Köppe


Soft Launch : Tuesday 21 February 2012, 8pm

Exhibition date : 21 Feb to 26 Feb 2012

Venue : The Annexe Gallery , KL

Gallery Hours :  Mon-sun  11am -6pm

Contact : 0196838397 Yeoh

Artist Website  : http://www.astridkoeppe.de/

No comments:

Post a Comment